University of Wisconsin-Madison - Single Sign-on Account Setup
TOP HAT SINGLE SIGN-ON STEPS
Good news! You can now use your school credentials to log into Top Hat. In order to use your school credentials, you’ll first need to ensure that your Top Hat account is associated correctly. It only takes a few steps!
Access the Top Hat web site
- If you do not yet have a Top Hat account, open a web browser then go to https://tophat.com and click Sign Up. Next, either enter the six-digit Join Code provided by your professor or choose the Search by school option then select University of Wisconsin - Madison from the drop-down list. Click the Next button to proceed.
- If you already have a Top Hat account, open a web browser then go to https://tophat.com and click Login. Select University of Wisconsin - Madison from the school drop-down menu then click the Login button to proceed.
- You will then be directed to the University of Wisconsin-Madison login page. Log in using your university credentials.
- After entering your information you will be redirected back to the Top Hat login page where you will have two options to choose.
If you have not yet created a Top Hat account
- Select "Continue Creating a new account".
- NOTE: This option is for users who do NOT yet have a Top Hat account and are registering for the first time.
- You will automatically be taken through the Top Hat account creation steps.
- When creating your Top Hat account you will encounter the following screen:
- Complete the registration steps to finalize your account.
- Your email and username will be auto-populated - you cannot edit these fields.
- The password you create is ONLY for logging into the Top Hat mobile app. Using the mobile app is optional, but a password must be created in order to complete the registration process. Note that recent versions of the mobile apps will now support single sign-on and that the password requirement is being phased out.
- If you choose to participate in class using SMS text messaging, you may enter your mobile phone number in the Phone step. You may also skip this step if preferred.
- In the final step, select the first course to enroll. You can enroll in additional courses in the course lobby.
- Once completed you will be redirected to the Top Hat course lobby.
If you have previously created a Top Hat account
- Select "Update with an existing account".
- NOTE: This option is for users who ALREADY have a Top Hat account and need to associate their account to their University of Wisconsin-Madison identity.
- After selecting this option you must log into Top Hat with your existing Top Hat user credentials. This will automatically associate your Top Hat account to your University of Wisconsin-Madison identity.
- Once completed you will be redirected to the Top Hat course lobby. Going forward you will only have to complete steps 1-2 in order to log into Top Hat from your browser.
The Top Hat Support Team is available to assist! They can be reached by emailing email@example.com or by calling (888) 663-5491 (ext. 1) Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need assistance.
We wish you all the best for the term!