Student Quick Start Guide: University of Wisconsin Milwaukee - Chemistry
Welcome to Top Hat! This guide will help you register a student account and understand how to use Top Hat for your classes.
CREATING AN ACCOUNT
If you received an email invitation from your instructor, be sure to click the link within the email to advance directly through the Top Hat registration process. You can also open a web browser and navigate to tophat.com/register/student/.
To manually creating your account
Go to tophat.com/student/register:
- Select University of Wisconsin Wilwaukee as your school or enter your course’s 6-digit code to begin the registration process
- Enter your University of Wisconsin Wilwaukee email address, your first and last name, and create a username then assign and confirm your password.
- In the Student ID field, enter your UWM school-issued ID number.
- Enter your 10 digit cellphone number. This will link your phone to your account, should you ever submit an answer to Top Hat via text message. The system will send you a verification text message as confirmation. If you don't own a mobile phone and will be participating with a laptop or tablet device, don't sweat it! Simply click "Skip, I don't want to use my phone."
- Select your courses from the list of available courses. You can search by the last name of your instructor or by your name of your course.
- Upon clicking the “Enroll” button you will be taken to the subscription purchase page.
- Please note that your course is eligible for a discounted subscription price. The discount will be applied automatically upon reaching the checkout page.
- If you purchased your Top Hat subscription from the UWM book store, select the Subscription Code option
(click the blue “Redeem” button) and you will be prompted to enter the code.
- Congratulations! You’ve just created your Top Hat student account and have entered your course. In the event you need to enroll in another Top Hat course, click the arrow in the top-left corner (next to the Top Hat logo) to go back to your course lobby. From there you can click the blue “Add a Course” button to repeat Step 5 and add an additional course.
ACCESSING TOP HAT
Once you have an account, you can log in by visiting tophat.com/login and typing in your username and password. This will take you to the Top Hat web interface where you will have access to all your course information.
Now that you’re enrolled in your course, it’s time to answer a few questions! You can use any of the following methods:
Laptop, tablet, or smartphone
You can submit answers by accessing the Top Hat web interface using a web browser. There are known compatibility issues with Internet Explorer, so we recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead. All active items should appear on the left side of your screen depending on how your instructor decides to use the system. If you can’t see anything, your instructor either disabled reviewing questions or no items have been created yet.
You can also download our native Android and IOS apps to use in your classroom. After logging into the app with your account information you can access all your course content directly from your phone. Questions asked in class will pop up automatically on your screen when asked in class. Should you ever run into connectivity issues on your application check out our offline mode here.
You can submit answers in class using any phone by sending a message to your course’s texting number. The number is displayed on the right side of your screen as well as your instructor’s screen. Each question is assigned a unique 4-digit ID; this is also displayed on your instructor’s screen.
For example: if your course’s number is +1 (315) 636-0905 and you’d like to send “A” as an answer to a question with 1234 as an ID, all you have to do is send a message to that number with the text: 1234 a. Notice that the space between the code and your answer is optional.
You should always receive a confirmation message that the submission has been received, if you don’t please check the number and make sure you have good reception. We highly recommend that you retain a record of your SMS submissions and do not delete your messages from your phone. For more information on our SMS Submission please click here.
Some common error messages are:
The 4-digit ID is not in use. Please verify that the identification code is correct.
This happens when you submit an answer to a question that has already been closed by your instructor. This sometimes happens due to a weak signal, let us know if this seems to be a persistent issue.
You must be enrolled in this course to submit answers. Please enroll from a computer.
This message most likely means that you haven’t completed the enrollment process. Please access Top Hat from a computer and make sure that you’re enrolled in the correct course. This can also happen if you’ve entered the wrong SMS ID, please check to see if the 4-digit ID number is correct.
CHECKING YOUR GRADES
If you’d like to see how you’re doing in a course, access Top Hat from a computer or your mobile application and view your Gradebook. We highly recommend that you keep track of your grades and check the gradebook often. The gradebook will show you an overview of all answered and unanswered items in your course
The gradebook will give a general breakdown of both your grades as well as attendance. The gradebook is broken down into different sections for ease of navigation.
Your instructor is extremely busy and is simply a user of our system, just like you!
Please do not waste valuable class time by asking your instructor technical questions, we have a team dedicated to that. To reach us, click Support at the bottom left corner of your screen, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit support.tophat.com to access our support forum. You will be able to search our knowledge base, stay up to date with our news, and even suggest features!