Professor: Creating a Matching Question (Old Top Hat)
Matching Questions are useful for testing students ability to identify and match one set of criteria with another. To create a Matching Question in Top Hat, complete the following steps:
Creating a Matching Question
- Click on the blue 'Create' button on the Dashboard in the Questions Module.
- Select 'Matching Problem', click 'Next'
- Title your question using a consistent naming convention that identifies the "When" and the "What".
- Enter the content of your question.
- Input answer Values. You can add/delete Values by clicking the '+Match' button. When entering Values, enter your answers so that they match. When the Question is asked, the matches will be randomized. You may also add/remove unmatchable Values to make the question more difficult by clicking the '+Dummy' button.
Note: To make sure the question renders properly on student devices, dummy answers should be added to the end of a matching question, after all the matched pairs.
- Click 'Save' to finish creating your Multiple Choice question.
Here is what a Matching Question looks like from your students point of view:
Should you require further assistance with Top Hat, our Support Team is here to help! You can contact us directly by way of email (email@example.com), the in app support button, the red Can’t find what you are looking for? Ask Support! banner at the bottom of this page, or calling us at 1-888-663-5491.