Student Quick Start Guide: University of Georgia
Welcome to Top Hat! This guide will help you register a student account and understand how to use Top Hat for your classes.
Creating an Account
- If you received an email invitation from your instructor, click the link within the email to advance directly through the Top Hat registration process. You can also open a web browser and go to tophat.com/register/student. Note: If you already have a Top Hat account from a previous semester, do not create a new account. Simply log in and skip to step 5. below!
- If you have the 6-digit course code, enter it in. Otherwise, type University of Georgia and select it from the drop-down before hitting 'Next'.
- Enter your name, University of Georgia email address, the username you'd like to use, and password. Be sure that you only use one email address. If it's already in use, verify you don't already have another Top Hat account.
- Enter your nine-digit 8xxxxxxxx ID number in the Student ID Field. Please include only the nine digits as indicated in this picture and do not include the extra tenth digit. This will help us identify you and upload your grades to the university.
- Enter your mobile phone number. This will link your phone number to your account, so you can text in answers to Top Hat. The Top Hat system will send you a verification text message as confirmation. If you don’t own a mobile phone and will be participating with a laptop or tablet device, don’t sweat it! Simply click “Skip, I don't want to use my phone."
- Find your course from the available list of classes. You can search by the last name of your instructor or by the name of the course. Once you find your course in the list, simply click the "Enroll" button to continue.
Congratulations! You’ve just created your Top Hat student account and have entered your course. At this point, if you've already purchased a Top Hat subscription you will be free to interact with your course materials. In the case you are a new user and haven't purchased anything yet, at this point you will be displayed the various payment options and walked through checkout.
For a detailed walkthrough on the payment process, please just click here.
Note: University of Georgia has a standardized pricing agreement with Top Hat, and for the Fall 2015 term pricing is as follows:
4-Month Subscription: $18.00 USD
1-Year Subscription: $24.00 USD
Student Lifetime: $45.00 USD
Adding additional Top Hat courses
In the event you need to enroll in another Top Hat course, click the arrow in the top-left corner (next to the Top Hat logo) to go back to your course lobby. From there you can click the blue “Add a Course” button to repeat Step 5 and add an additional course.
Accessing Top Hat
Once you have an account, you can log in by visiting tophat.com/login from your web browser and typing in your username and password. It’s usually a good idea to consider bookmarking this login page for quick access! If you are new to Top Hat, please check out our Orientation Page to learn all the need-to-knows about your account.
Now that you’re enrolled in your course, it’s time to answer a few questions! You can use any of the following methods:
Laptop, tablet, or web-enabled smartphone
You can submit answers by accessing the Top Hat web interface using a web browser. There are known compatibility issues with Internet Explorer, so we highly recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari instead.
All active items should appear on the left side of your screen depending on how your instructor decides to use the system.
If you can’t see anything, your instructor either disabled reviewing questions or no items have been created yet.
Mobile App Submissions
Great news! Android and iPhone users can download the free Top Hat app from Google Play or the Apple App Store. You can visit the Android or iOS Support Pages to learn more about the different applications and how to install them on your own phone. We're happy to say the apps are free!
You can submit answers in class using any phone by sending a message to your course’s texting number. The number is displayed on the right side of your screen as well as your instructor’s screen. Each question is assigned a unique 4-digit ID; this is also displayed on your instructor’s screen. Texting in answers is very simple, and we can help walk you through the process of getting started here.'
Offline Mode submissions
There might be times when you do not have good signal to text in answers, and your connection to wifi is weak. What do you do? Don't worry, we have a third method for submitting answers! Offline mode stores your submissions on your phone until you are reconnected to the internet. To learn how to use offline mode, please visit our Offline Mode Support Page.
Common error messages
There are a few common error messages you may receive throughout the term, especially if you are texting in responses to Top Hat. To learn what the messages mean and how to resolve the issue, please visit our Common Errors Support Page
Checking your grades
If you’d like to see how you’re doing in a course, access Top Hat from a computer or your mobile application and view your Gradebook. We highly recommend that you keep track of your grades and check the gradebook often. The gradebook will show you an overview of all active, answered and unanswered items in your course
The gradebook will give a general breakdown of both your grades as well as attendance. From here you can review the questions asked in your course as well as what you submitted. The gradebook is broken down into different sections for ease of navigation.
Your instructor is extremely busy and is only a user of our system, just like you!
If you need any additional support, we've got you covered. The easiest way to get in touch with us is to click Support at the bottom left-hand corner of your screen (when logged into your Top Hat Account) or click the 'Submit a Request' button in the top right-hand corner of this screen. You can also drop us a line; firstname.lastname@example.org.